You’ve been voting your socks off for two weeks. It’s been a close call but at last, the voting has closed for our ‘Artist of the Year 2019’ poll.
20 of 2019’s hottest acts. Over 600,000 votes. But there can only be one winner. The winner of The Honey POP’s Artist of the Year is…
2019 has been another incredible year for BTS. This April saw them become the first Asian act to surpass 5 billion streams on Spotify. They were also named as of Time 100’s ‘Most influential People of 2019.’ They released their sixth EP Map of the Soul: Persona. It became the first Korean-language album to reach the number-one position in both Australia and the UK as well as their third consecutive album to top the Billboard 200 and third within 11 months. This means they joined the likes of The Beatles who achieved the same in 1995-1996. They are also the fastest group to get three number-one albums since The Monkees in 1967. ICONIC.
But wait, there’s more!
Map of the Soul: Persona also became the best selling physical album in the US for 2019 with 312,000 physical sales. It also became the best-selling album ever in South Korea, with more than 3.2 million sales in less than a month. The lead single from the EP ‘Boy With Luv’ featuring the lovely Halsey debuted at number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the highest in history for a Korean group, while the music video became the most-viewed online video within the first 24 hours, accumulating more than 74.6 MILLION! Legends only.
Other iconic moments for BTS in 2019 include:
- ‘Boy With Luv’ being certified in multiple countries, including Gold in Australia for selling 35,000 units and Platinum in the US for selling over 1 million units.
- A world stadium tour where they became the first Asian and non-English speaking artist to ever headline and sell out Wembley and the Rose Bowl concerts breaking the record for highest-grossing single engagement in the venue’s Boxscore history, surpassing both Taylor Swift and U2. The tour also sold out within two hours, with second dates added for all venues due to high demand.
- The release of their mobile game BTS World, in which the soundtrack was certified Double Platinum on August 8th for surpassing 500,000 copies sold, making it the first soundtrack album to receive the certification since Gaon implemented it last year.
- To end the end of their record-breaking ‘Love Yourself: Speak Yourself: World Tour,’ the band performed three sold-out nights at Seoul’s Olympic Stadium. They ranked third overall on the year-end Top 40 Tours chart and out-grossed legendary rock acts including the Rolling Stones, Metallica, and KISS, as well as the Backstreet Boys, making them the top-grossing touring group of 2019.
- Became the first KPOP group to win the ‘Favorite Duo or Group Pop/Rock’ at the American Music Awards and also took home the ‘Favorite Social Artist Award’ for the second time in a row following 2018’s win.
- Became the first artist in the history of KPOP to receive all grand prizes from both the Melon Music Awards and Mnet Asian Music Awards, winning four from each award show.
- Ranked number 15 on Billboard’s year-end ‘Top Artist Chart’ and number two act of the year in the Duo/Group ranking.
- Named ‘2019 Hitmakers Group of the Year’ by Variety
- Most tweeted-about musicians of 2019
Phew! It’s no wonder they’re our Artist of the Year! Congrats BTS, you should be so proud of your ARMYs — we know that you are.
You can keep up-to-date with all our quality BTS content right here
Did you vote for BTS? What was your favorite memory from them in 2019? Be sure to drop us a comment or tweet us @TheHoneyPOP!
Featured Image Source: The Honey POP