Olivia Rodrigo has already established her reputation as one of the most influential young artists of the 21st century, a little over a year into her music career.
[apple_music_ad artist=”Olivia Rodrigo”]
With her strong, innate Gen-Z connection and songwriting prowess, she pours all her expressions, experiences, and emotions into her lyrics, revealing vulnerability, authenticity, anguish, and inner turmoil that resonates with her worldwide audience.
The GRAMMY-nominated singer-songwriter has released a new Disney+ Original Film, Olivia Rodrigo: driving home 2 u (a SOUR film). The singer reflects on her musical journey from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles and discusses the recording process of her breakthrough album, Sour.
As a young woman trying to navigate her life and career, Olivia delves deeply into her innermost sentiments, mindset, and perspective on life. The movie features remastered versions, live performances, exclusive candid interviews, and unseen behind-the-scenes footage.
Directed by Stacey Lee, Olivia Rodrigo: driving home 2 u (a SOUR film) premiered on the streaming platform and is available to watch here!
The movie premiere, held at the Regency Theater, was indeed a star-studded affair, highlighted by Olivia Rodrigo and an all-female band along with Stacey Lee, Blu DeTiger, Towa Bird, The Kid LAROI, Busy Philipps, Christina Milian, Kevin McHale, and more.
Aside from celebrities, a few lucky fans attended the advanced screening, where Olivia made a surprise appearance to greet them.
Here’s a look at the pictures and highlights from the afterparty:
Best Lyrics To Jam
Olivia’s smash hit album, Sour, beautifully encapsulates Olivia’s emotional turmoil, navigating the heartbreak and weaving all the emotions together on the human spectrum. At such a young age and being inspired by one of the biggest and most talented musical icons, Taylor Swift, she has honed in on her songwriting skills and mastered something that takes a lifetime to learn – connecting to the soul. With her poignant and heartbreakingly beautiful lyrics twisted into infectious tunes, she evokes universal emotions on an intimate level.
To commemorate the release and explore the cinematic journey, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite lyrics worth reminiscing about, humming, and captioning your next Instagram post! Check it out right here and keep reading to dive in with us.
- “I’ve lost my mind, I’ve spent the night / Cryin’ on the floor of my bathroom.” —Sounds like a typical weekend for us.
- “Maybe I’m too emotional. Your apathy is like a wound in salt. Maybe I’m too emotional / Maybe you never cared at all.” — Oh yeah, we’re bitter that you did not live up to your promise!
- “And you always say I’m never satisfied / But I don’t think that’s true / ‘Cause all I ever wanted was to be enough.” — We don’t know about you, but we can hear young Taylor Swift here.
- “So find someone great, but don’t find no one better / I hope you’re happy, but don’t be happier.” — It’s the best lyric, hands down. We’ve all been there with friends, ex-lovers, or someone special!
- “Guess you didn’t cheat, but you’re still a traitor.” — When my dog leaves my company to play with its pooches.
- “Guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me / ‘Cause you said forever, now I drive alone past your street.” — Where’s that goddamn tissue stack? Our eyes are sweating.
- “Never doubted myself so much / Like am I pretty? Am I fun, boy?” — Currently searching through 98726 photos to find one to upload on Instagram.
- “I kind of find it all exciting / Like which lover will I get today?” — We’re channeling “Hot Girl Summer” after a breakup because “Ain’t no crying in a club!”
- “’Cause let’s be honest, we kinda do sound the same.” — Whenever we are screaming ‘Good 4 U’ at the karaoke bar.
- “And I know we weren’t perfect / But I’ve never felt this way for no one.” — A week after we broke up with our first crush.
- “Well, good for you, I guess you moved on really easily.” — When that college best friend you haven’t seen in 8 years posts a selfie with her maid of honor.
- “I wanna be you so bad, and I don’t even know you.” — Our thoughts to literally 90% of the fitness models and celebrities.
- “I kinda wanna throw my phone across the room.” — After accidentally liking (and disliking) your ex’s post.
- “But, God, I hope that you’re happier today / ‘Cause I love you / And I hope that you’re okay.” — No puns. We really wish that for you and love you.
- “I’m selfish, I know, I can’t let you go.” — We want you to stay at The Honey Pop because we are sweet and unbiased.
Which of these lyrics resonates with you the most? What are you most excited to see in Olivia Rodrigo: driving home 2 u (a SOUR film)? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below, or hit us up on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
What's Your Reaction?
Khushboo Malhotra works as a freelance journalist, digital marketing & media strategist, and content marketer featured in various global and national media publications and works alongside B2B, B2C, and eCommerce brands. A wide range of her work spans music and entertainment culture, sustainable lifestyle (including sub-niches), and SaaS. She enjoys writing novels and designing screenplays, grooving at concerts, or exploring new fashion and cuisines that tickle her taste buds when she is not working. Have a story? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org